On Saturday, October 14, the Symphonie de la Vallée aux Sommets took place at Sommet Saint-Sauveur, an enchanting event perfectly suited to launch the fast-approaching ski season. From a book release to the announcement of two new ski lifts, as well as the presentation of investments, novelties and events for the coming season, a lot of exciting information was shared at this music-filled event, courtesy of the "Aux quatre vents" clarinet quartet. Our recap follows below.
One book, 50 years of history: De la Vallée aux Sommets
"It is with a lot of emotion that we launch 'De la Vallée aux Sommets'," said Louis-Philippe Hébert, President and CEO of les Sommets.
Indeed, this newly published book, written by author and ski enthusiast Danielle Soucy, represents a turning point for the company.The fruit of 2 years of research, interviews and writing by Ms. Soucy, the 200-page book is packed with archive images, testimonials and previously unpublished anecdotes gathered from all corners of the company. It's a story of passion and daring that's well worth a read for any ski enthusiast. Ms. Sonia Bélanger, Prévost member for the Coalition Avenir Québec and Minister Responsible for Seniors, also took the floor to share her love of the region and of skiing. It was a pleasure to welcome her!
A mountain of investments and novelties
David Dufour, Executive Vice-President for les Sommets, then took on the role of presenting the many investments and new features made at les Sommet this season, with improvements totalling over $13 million.
The heart of our investments lies in the installation of several new lifts throughout les Sommets.
- Élévation, announced for the first time as part of the Symphonie, is a 4-seater chairlift with loading carpet that will arrive in the 2024-2025 season at Sommet Morin Heights. It will replace the current Dynastar lift. Élévation is the fourth new Doppelmayr lift to be installed at Les Sommets since 2019.
- Apollo, a brand-new 4-seater chairlift with loading carpet, will be in operation at Sommet Olympia for the start of the 2023-2024 ski season. It will replace the mountain's old triple lift.
Several other investments were also made this year:
- New snowmaking technologies at versant Avila, Sommet Morin Heights, Sommet Gabriel and Sommet Olympia;
- New Prinoth Bison groomer at Sommet Saint-Sauveur;
- Improvements to versant Avila's snow tubing - new starting gates and new double carpet;
- Redevelopment of the main group pavilion at Sommet Saint-Sauveur, versant Avila;
- New toboggans with anti-collision system for the Viking at Sommet Saint-Sauveur's Parc F.U.N.;
- New wastewater treatment system at Sommet Morin Heights.
These investments are essential to maintaining a high level of service and a quality experience at les Sommets, while enabling us to constantly improve our offering to visitors.
A host of upcoming events
Christian Dufour, Marketing Director for les Sommets, presented the company's event programming for the 2023-2024 season; an offering proposing "a festive and friendly theme, where all mountain lovers, skiers and non-skiers alike, rediscover the happiness and joy of playing outdoors". See the full list of events in the annex below.
Our impressive calendar shows that skiing is first and foremost a gathering that unites people around the love of playing outdoors, beyond the sport itself. We look forward to welcoming visitors to our mountains for what promises to be an exciting season of events.
We'd like to conclude by thanking everyone who participated in the Symphonie de la Vallée aux Sommets, in any way, shape or form; thank you!
The book "De la Vallée aux Sommets" is now available at Boutique les Sommets and online: boutique.sommets.com . As far as skiing is concerned, we're always ready and more than excited to get the season underway. As Christian Dufour said... "It could be tomorrow!
Annex: Upcoming events for the 2023-2024 season
Several major festivities of all kinds are planned for the 2023-2024 season in our mountains:
- The Party des Monstres, October 28: a monstrously fun Halloween celebration at the Parc F.U.N. du Sommet Saint-Sauveur;
- Après Ski Party, November 25, to kick off the season in style;
- The Party pour l'Amour du Ski, a tribute to our sport and our history;
- The Fondation Martin Matte's Beaux 4h Final Party, which returns to the main slope of Sommet Saint-Sauveur this year.
An association with local partner Axis will result in three fun and friendly events:
- Two editions of the Rat Race, at Sommet Morin Heights and Sommet Olympia: profiled course races to be enjoyed with friends;
- The JR Games, a competition for young skiers and snowboarders at the versant Avila Snow Park.
And let's not forget spring, which is also rich in major events:
- The Spring Classic in conjunction with the U16 ski finals;
- The Quebec Ski Instructors' Championship;
- The Moguls Challenge;
- The legendary Slush Cup, always appreciated for its spectacular nature.
Source : Les Sommets
Photo credit: Fahri Yavuz