Camp Fortune - December 22-23rd, 2017

Gordo

IMG_20171222_151010671.thumb.jpg.af4cf60af403e60afcd110a854b390ab.jpgI skied a double header at Camp Fortune to check on conditions and catch the opening of the Skyline side.  Friday I skied in the afternoon and Saturday in the morning. Marshall opened on Friday. Bud Clark, Lower Canadian and Sparks opened on Saturday.  Snow was being blown on Allen's Alley on Friday and on Saturday the guns were moved to Slalom. Expect them both to open soon.  Clifford, Paradis and Sparks had the best snow conditions.  Bud Clark and Marshall were a little choppy from the man-made snow gravel.  Lower Canadian on Skyline was decent though. The right side of Clifford was being used for racing so its iced up a bit.  Crowds were small for the beginning of the Christmas break and heavy snow began to fall on Saturday. I think we ended up getting like 7-10cms! so Sunday should be great.  Happy Holidays, ski on! 

IMG_20171222_133442655.jpg

Marshall with Alexander and MacDonald in the background.  The last few years the t-bar has not been used and both runs  are only accessed by alpine touring now.

IMG_20171222_144600621.jpg

IMG_20171222_151010671.jpg

Clifford 

IMG_20171223_100047985.jpg

IMG_20171223_100213893.jpg

IMG_20171223_105352612.jpg

Skyline is open!

IMG_20171223_110458507.jpg

Sparks

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the great report. Looks like you were making up for some lost time! Did they remove the t-bar in the Alexander/MacDonald sector? Will it ever be lift served again? Looks like a couple of decent trails there. I see another dump in our area is predicted. I hope it does, it will cover up the crust we have from the wet day yesterday.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Gordo
      Wow, a sleeper powder day! What a way to end a workday. The snow started coming down heavy in Gatineau around noon and didn't stop. By the time I got to the Skyline parking lot, there were 10cms already on the ground. This would be the best day of the season so far. Loads of fresh stuff, almost no lines and creamy turns. Goggles were a must and I fought off some fogging issues. The temperature was around zero and the snow was a little wet but not overly heavy. I had no problem sailing through mashed-up powder. Heggtveit was my first run and how nice it was. If you arrive around 4ish hit Hegg first before they close it for the night. Every run on Skyline was perfect. Later we poled our way to the Valley side. So much untouched powder but then the power went out! I feared I would be stuck in the valley with my car on Skyline. After about 10 minutes they got the lifts going again but the trail lights were still off. We arrived at the top of Slalom in darkness. I feared the power on the lifts might not hold so we skied Slalom in the dark and jumped on the lift to get us back to Skyline. The lights came back on and everything went smoothly for the rest of the night. The last run was Canadian and we skied right to the car. What a blast, February has really redeemed this season. Enjoy the snow, the total was around 20cms. 

• By Gordo
      Friday morning at Camp Fortune was a great way to end the week. The snow was coming down hard layering the perfectly groomed runs with 2-4cms of fresh stuff. Even a couple of centimeters has a great physiological effect on your skiing! Once again Camp Fortune has done an amazing job dealing with a very odd season plus low snowfall. All the main runs are open on all three sides of the resort. Only the glades and natural snow runs wait for a couple more snowfalls. I spent most of my time on Skyline and all the runs felt great.  There was little crust under the new snow but nothing a well-tuned ski couldn't handle.  Which reminds me I've been lazy this year and still need to wax! The valley side seemed to have more natural snow and Slalom seemed almost untouched.  I was expecting big line ups but the place was almost empty.  I've been skiing a lot of nights and from 2-4pm it's pretty quiet but then the lines form and it can get kind of insane. Of course, a 7pm close because of the ongoing COVID curfew doesn't help. Let's hope things change soon as the cases go down. All in all, it was a great morning and I totally recommend getting some fresh air on the slopes at your local ski hill.  I'll be back soon. 

Have they cut down all the bush near the road? The view is a lot better.

Top of Slalom in the valley.

Clifford

Looking down Heggtveit

Canadian on Skyline

Bottom section of Heggtveit