Calabogie Peaks - March 19, 2017

P1040939.thumb.jpg.2cbec991b637ee6b47eb4d947bce2cb7.jpgHeading outside at 8:55am, I made my way to the Lakeview quad to start my day. Upon first glance, the trails were all nicely groomed and the snow is impeccable. I line up and make it to be on the first chair up the mountain. Mission accomplished!

While heading up the mountain, I look in the direction of Black Donald, my first destination, and the big reason for coming today. For those not familiar with Calabogie, this trail has the best views of the Calabogie Lake in the distance. For almost half of the descent, you get stunning views, especially during the section leading in at the summit.

Conditions overall were firm base, that was slightly softening up as the day progressed. All the trails had been well groomed, and not really any ice to worry about, except for Face of Tiger, which is always a tricky spot for snow conditions.

Having done Black Donald several times, and Juniper Junction to finish off at the bottom, I moved across to more trails, such as Fiddler and Whistlin Patty, both in great shape. I also visited Buckshot and Barrett Chute. For the most part, I really stayed on the Lakeview chair the whole time, as that was where the fun was at this weekend.

With plenty of sun and temperatures slowly warming up, spring is just around the corner. So too is the famous spring skiing ambiance and atmosphere. 

Have a great week ahead and happy skiing!

P1040939.thumb.jpg.2cbec991b637ee6b47eb4d947bce2cb7.jpg

Summit of Lakeview quad

P1040882.thumb.jpg.938e940e947ca61eab280c8c70278ab7.jpg

P1040945.thumb.jpg.f334cf44bc2f24ee095c516b89bc0890.jpg

Black Donald

P1040866.thumb.jpg.0cea395c7c28125dd024208059646a3e.jpg

P1040869.thumb.jpg.e0ebac5006175e2f548aa39781799c7e.jpg

P1040964.thumb.jpg.f42b66e8e35383b9b0ba4e0864248e60.jpg

Lower Black Donald

P1040910.thumb.jpg.60bd22750101e6219a55cddbe9907f6a.jpg

Calabogie Lake

P1040933.thumb.jpg.d63a56092f1ecbb46a981b7b226bdba4.jpg

Whistlin Patty

P1040904.thumb.jpg.5004e88bc1a08240351d9315b3f68d25.jpg

Barrett Chute

P1040984.thumb.jpg.08650b7c009f7ba82b1a8d521360997a.jpg

Base area

Guest Bernie

I have often heard of Calabogie Peaks but never made it so far. Your report along with the photos make it out to be a fun place to go and ski. The conditions seem pretty good and I wonder how much longer they will operate this year. I like that your site covers the ski operations here in Eastern Ontario and Quebec. Keep up the good work and until the next report

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Gordo
      From the newsletter:

Join us this Friday December 11th-Sunday December 13th for a soft opening of our ski operations!
      Available During Soft Open:
      Open for skiing & snowboarding 9am-4pm Friday-Sunday.
      Lift Tickets: $26.55+hst for a full day, all ages.
      The Rental Shop is open for daily and seasonal rental fittings.
      Locker room is open for renters to use.
      Food & Beverage available from Mountain Cat Cafeteria and Canthooks Restaurant.
      Lodge is open with limited capacity for bathroom facilities.
      Please check our Trail Status for the most up to date information on available runs.
      Not Available During Soft Open:
      Season Pass Pickup:
      Pass holders will be given a lift ticket allowing them to ski all weekend until our new Season Pass software is ready.
      Lessons:
      Private, Semi, Discover and Program lessons are not available or bookable at this time.
      Tech Shop Services:
      The tech shop is not available this weekend for ski tuning services
      Black Donald's Pub
      is not open this weekend.
      What to Know Before You Arrive:
      Masks are required inside all buildings and outside in queues (ticket window, lift lines, and chairlifts).
      Bags of any kind (boot bags, lunch bags, etc) are not permitted inside any building. We ask that guests dawn their boots in their vehicle.
      Indoor seating is only available for patrons of Mountain Cat Cafeteria.
      Indoor bathroom facilities will be open with limited capacity.
      Tickets & Rentals are only available from the outside windows of the Adventure Centre.
      Bagged lunches may be eaten in vehicles or at outdoor seating areas.
      You may not see it behind our masks, but we promise our staff are smiling - be kind, be patient, be safe.
      Ski Well, Be Well

• By Gordo
      Opening day at Camp Fortune was a crisp (-12c) bluebird day.  This is the 100th season! and people are pumped.  Two runs, Pineault and Allen's Ally were open and the conditions were great.  The trails are covered in perfect machine made corduroy with about 20cms of natural snow along the edges. There  are also a few rails and small jumps setup for the park kids.  I arrived a little after 9 missing first chair.  I stayed for a few hours and got a bunch of runs in before the place started to get busy.  People are very eager.  A great first day to a very early start.  Snowmaking has moved to Clifford and hopefully by next weekend both Clifford and Marshall may be open. 

I bought some swag!