New to Snowboarding

Good day,

I was wandering how I could put my snow back into shape : a good wax, sharpen the sides and the varnish on top.

I came back from Lake Louise a couple months ago and had to send my snowboard by greyhound. The sticker they put on the top of it, ripped some of the clearcoat when I took it off.

Preferably, to be done myself of course.

Frédéric

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Frédéric,

Great question. You can definitely wax and sharpen your board yourself. We actually made a video last season showing how to do skis yourself (the idea and procedure is mostly the same for snowboards). You can check it out here : http://www.slopeedge.net/how-to-of-skiing/how-to-tune-your-skis-at-home . One of the great benefits of doing it yourself is that you can tune it up more frequently than you would otherwise do bringing it to the shop and save yourself alot of money.

In regards to your question on restoring the clearcoat on the top of your board, it's not something that is usually fixed. However alot of people have resurfaced the top of their board (either due to scratches or light damage, or if they wanted to change the design/graphics or colour). There isn't an official guide on this but the general procedure people follow is:

• Preparing your board - Removing bindings, using rubbing alcohol to clean, then air dry. Sand the board using a fine-grit sandpaper.
  • Painting your board - Most people recommend automotive spray paint for this.
  • Finish off with a clear coat spray to add a layer of protection.
  • Reinstall your bindings.

Again, this should be considered an advanced job as you could easily do damage to your board. I'd only say to tackle it if you were really unhappy with the condition of your board if the sticker removal caused heavy damage to the surface. I'd always try rubbing alcohol or Goo-gone remover to see if that doesn't fix the issue before attempting this.

There's probably a Youtube video out there that shows this process in action. 

Hope this helps. Let us know how things go.