East Coast Ski Hill Openings

A few small Midwestern resorts opened a small area of artificial snow 2 weeks ago, with some Colorado resorts opening their lifts last week. Still seems like a good 4 weeks until the majority of East Coast ski hills can open their doors, even with just one trail of man-made 'snow'! 

On the topic of the midwest, Teton Gravity Research has just released a second part to their wildly successful ski doc In Pursuit of Soul, which explored independent, family-run resorts that were on the Indy Pass. It was marketing at its finest, and after a part one featuring hills in the West and East coasts, the second doc explores the tiny hills of the midwest, which in my opinion are similar to the smaller resorts of the Ottawa/Gatineau area. I have never seen such a high quality documentary made on small resorts, and loved every minute of it. I will link it below:

• 3 weeks later...

Mont Saint Marie has started snowmaking, and has announced that the week will look promising for good snowmaking temps, especially at night, and to stay tuned for an opening day announcement. Realistically, it will probably be the 25-27 weekend, though I wonder if one trail can be made in time for this weekend-though I highly doubt that for a mountain this size!

unnamed.jpg

From Mont Ste-Marie today:

Opening Day is this Saturday at 9am. Vanier Chairlift.

We have been strategically making snow with snow, blasting at the higher elevations by day when it is warmer and full snowmaking top to bottom at night. As a result this will be our earliest opening in Mont Ste-Marie's history and the first to open in the Region. We will have Serenade open and lift tickets will be Junior $29 and Adult $39. Open Saturday and Sunday 9-4pm. Purchase your tickets in person at Customer Service. Check our WEBCAM

I haven't seen/heard of when Sutton, Owl's Head, Bellevue, or Orford will open. Hopefully soon!

Bromont is to open December 2-4 for pass holders only. I had heard that Mont Gleason may open for this weekend November 26, but that is to be confirmed Thursday. Doesn't look like great weather this Friday or Sunday. Saturday looks decent but that can change in a heartbeat.

Mont Farlagne maybe open for December 3rd, pass holders only.