Closing Days 2021-2022!

Looks awesome Paul, unfortunately our family is recovering from Covid, so save for a small chance at a Mont Tremblant trip next saturday, my season is likely over:( I hope to buy the fortune night pass for next season as many of my friends have it, and having my own vehicle by then will definitely allow me to hit the slopes more often). As for Calabogie, I don't see how they'll have enough snow to host the uphill snowmobile drag race April 23, let alone be open Easter weekend! Calabogie had a terrible year in terms of snowmaking, taking until mid February to have all trails open. Even then, Black Donald was only open for 2 weeks (and it isn't even a natural snow trail!), and while the weather this year was not the best, it wasn't the worst either. Maybe it is understaffing, but I suspect they need a snowmaking upgrade. In the slopeedge snowmaking video, Paul Murphy claimed that cold weather would allow for the hill to be fully open by Christmas, using snowmaking. That was certainly not the case this year.

I noticed Calabogie is removing chairs from the cable for maintenance on the webcam. I checked the main page and found they will be closed. Sadly, it was really poor season for them, due to a later than usual December 18th opening, having only 2 runs during the Christmas break, and of course the slow pace of opening terrain-adding one new trail a week until Mid-February.

I was at Sommet Saint-Sauveur today. Conditions were fantastic. All the main trails (except Grand Elan and the glades) were open and almost all with full snow coverage side to side. I was quite surprised.

Stay tuned, I will post my ski report with some videos of most of the trails tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

There are still a couple mountains that seem to be open in the North of Quebec, but the only mainstream one left is Sommet Saint-Sauveur. They are open this weekend with 3 trails (70 Ouest, Nordique and the SilverPark).

No doubt they will be open again next weekend and perhaps a couple more after that all depending. The photos I've seen look to show a lot of snow still available, and nearly full coverage on the two main trails.

MSS has just extended and will be open this weekend, and next (May 14-15!). We can hope the snow will maintain well enough to open for the long weekend. Jay Peak also remains open this weekend, and Killington will probably keep it going to June.

I have slacked enormously on trip reports this skison - my not so smart phone has been shutting off in the cold and I took very few photos. However, I am only three days out from making my way back into the 100 club for the 21/22 skison! Having slacked in Nov-Jan, it was a strong push between Feb and April to get in every day possible. My new record for consecutive days on the mountain is 77 days! Day 97 was last Sunday. 

• 2 weeks later...