Mont Ste Marie - New Glades, Off-Piste and Trekking

Shane

Mont Ste Marie just posted on their Facebook page that new this season, there will be tree skiing (glades), off-piste and trekking.

Over 500 acres of new free ride lift serviced ski terrain will be opening this winter offering amazing old growth tree skiing, pillow drops and stunning views and vistas. 

These are no doubt mostly areas that already exist but were not officially recognized or "allowed". So it's great that it is now being officially recognized.

Really hopeful that one day the backside of Vanier can be expanded onto as well. In some past years, they would allow free skiing back there with a shuttle bus to do the return trip to the main side with the lifts.

Of all the mountains in the region, Mont Ste Marie has arguably the best terrain and vertical drop and the most potential for future growth.

Very exciting.

Based on the comments on Facebook, it was stated that the new section will be between Vanier and Cheval Blanc mountains. If you do a really rough estimate on the size it works out to about 0.8km2 which is about 200 acres. Not sure where the 500 acres is coming from so hopefully we can see a trail map or something that shows the new ski boundaries (and ideally a map that shows suggested trails or routes down the mountain).

For comparison, Tremblant lists their skiable terrain as 755 acres.

https://www.tremblant.ca/mountain-village/mountain-info/stats

Going to send Mont Ste Marie a message so we can try to see a trail map or some chart showing what's new to get a better idea and understanding.

• 4 weeks later...

They had a 'Trail Map' at the Mont Ste Marie booth at the Ski Show. I should have taken a picture but it wasn't very detailed. Just take the existing trail map with the Klotz trail placed back on it, and add a big shaded bubble (that was marked new glade zone) all around Klotz and extending to both ends and that's exactly what the map on display was.

I asked the reps and they didn't have anything to share that we didn't already know.

• 1 month later...

Interesting, its odd they have not updated the map on their website though.   Also Crescendo seems rather narrow to have uphill trekking and downhill skiing on.  I did ski through that Cheval West side area last spring and it has some cool terrain but you'll need lots of natural snow to enjoy it.  

Looking at the map, for ones who have not skied there, like me, how would one get from Vanier over to Chaval Blanc? Can you ski past the Chalet du Trappeur or have to hoof it? Looks like you could ski it over. I noticed the transfer trails from Cheval back to Vanier.

Yeah the map makes it look confusing but it's rather simple the link from Vanier to Cheval Blanc.

From the main chalet at the base of Vanier, you can take a "flat" trail that passes next to the parking, and brings you to the Chalet du Trappeur. From there it is a beginner short downhill slope and with enough speed you should make it to the Cheval chairlift. Alternatively on weekends and holidays, there is a small train or tram that runs between the main chalet and the Chalet du Trappeur. It's a little tractor that pulls two little tram cars through the parking. The return from Cheval to Vanier is all downhill and an actual ski run. It goes quite well. Hopefully one day a better link is made from Vanier to Cheval. That's really the only downpoint of Mont Ste Marie. When the tram isn't running, it's cross country skiing to make the link for the first half of the distance.

• 1 month later...

So I couldn’t find the actual entrance to either Deep Purple or the glade run on Carrossel. I asked the staff and they didn’t know where it was either. They also said there wasn’t a sign. Additionally, they didn’t know where you should leave your vehicle if you ski Sunderman, but you end up about 2 km from the hill. Do you have any insight into this? Thanks!

Hi! I'm very excited about the glades and off piste skiing at MSM. This year. Anyone know the best access points? I'm new to the hill and would appreciate any tips!

The glade off Carrossel is easy to find. Just before Carrossel's pitch gets steep you have to traverse upwards into the woods on your left. There will probably be some tracks.  Then it opens up and goes steeply downwards just watch out for some cliff drops.  Deep Purple should be off the Klotz trail. Regarding Sunderman's Ridge it brings you down to the golf course. I've never done it though. 

• 3 weeks later...