Bromont - Chairlift #4 down

Shane

Chairlift #4 (the main detachable quad on the Versant du Village) has been out of service since Tuesday/Wednesday last week. The cause is vibrations/oscillations and noise from the bull wheel at the summit. Not wanting to take any chances, the lift is being inspected to determine the cause and repaired. Already the bull wheel has been removed and moved to the base of the mountain for repairs.

You can see more in this great video Bromont created about what's going on, attached below.

Earlier on this winter, the Quebec government announced support and investment into Bromont, which included some funding for a new six-pack chairlift. No doubt, this lift is for the Versant du Village, to replace the #4 lift. While no further details have come out, and due to the fact that they also mention at the time a summit chalet will be constructed in the near future, it is possible that this new lift could be a Hybrid lift like at Orford, consisting of six-pack chairs and gondola cabins.

Either way, let's hope this all comes to pass over the summer and fall so that skiers are treated to a more reliable lift. The #4 lift is the primary lift of the mountain and among the absolute first generation of detachable quad chairlifts. It has served it's time and has reached the point of replacement.

What are your thoughts? Have you heard any rumors or have any news to share?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven’t heard any rumours about what will or would happen. I have read that a lot of people have not been happy with the performance of this lift for the past few seasons and that Bromont has waited way too long to replace this aged lift. It is great that they are not taking any chances with the lift and are doing what’s necessary to find out what is wrong, and they are lucky to have another lift that runs along side of this one to carry the people up the mountain, but it runs slower than the detachable which makes the wait in line that much longer. It is another example of the aged lift systems in Quebec and the problems they go through. Ste Anne and Stoneham have had their share of lift issues in the past and this year Owl’s Head has been bitten by the bug now.

The worst news was that yesterday there was a period where the #3 lift was also out of service for about an hour. Both lifts down leaves no way to ski or get to the rest of the mountain. I would assume at that time the magic carpet and the beginner area of Mont Soleil were busy. 

Definitely hope things improve. It’s a very nice mountain with some great trails and variety.  The lifts seem to be the acheles heel of the resort. Prefer to check the website for trail status and not needing to check lift status. 

Well this is poor news. Surprising that a mountain that seems to make an awful lot of money (among the top in the province it would seem) has issues with their lifts. Unbelievable. Year after year, and throughout the seasons you can check their website and they alternate between the fixed grip and the detachable. So no doubt they have more issues, but depending on the day of the week are able to make it show less due to the lower impact. About time for a new lift. It was installed in 1985, like other lifts that were the original detachables, such as the Atomic at Saint-Sauveur and the #2 at Sutton. The only quad detachables that are older in North America it would seem is the Quicksilver Superchair that was originally at Breckenridge (a prototype if you will) which was built in 1981. So these lifts really mark the beginning of this type of quad lift.

What gets to me is that the Versant du Village detachable at Bromont has infinitely more issues than the Atomic Express at Saint-Sauveur, yet they were built the same year.

Come on guys!!! If you are gonna build the new lift in the summer, perhaps now is the time to announce it instead of having the lift still out of operation and people scratching their heads wondering when this madness will end.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Ocean
      This Saturday was the fourth in the series of eight Nuit Blanches at Bromont, where you can ski from 8AM til 2AM. We were also graced with a forecast for a reasonable storm that would bring 15 to 20 cm to the townships. The storm was to begin at 5pm, leaving plenty of time during the day to relax and prepare for some serious night skiing in prime conditions. I didn't rush and planned to go after 9pm, giving the snow some time to accumulate on the granular and icy base (which was still recovering from last week's ice storm). After spending the afternoon lounging around the house and getting a few neglected chores completed, I got ready to go, and packed myself a Creemore and deli sandwich snack since there are very few snacking options in Bromont after 2AM and I have reached my quota for tolerance of Tim Horton's already this season.
      I headed out about 9:30, and snow had already accumulated on the car so I took some time to clear off the snow and remaining ice from the previous storm before heading out. Of course, I immediately got stuck behind a plow before even leaving the city....and then another one. Once I hit the 10, it was a comfortable place all the way to Bromont with no visible accidents thankfully, despite the blowing snow and low visibility. I rolled into P5 around 11:30pm and started getting ready to go. My snowboarding companion Ilana had already arrived a short time before me. I was ready to hit the Lac du Lac chair just before midnight. 
      I started out with a few easy runs on the Versant du Lac side - I'd skied seven out of the previous eight days and took some time to warm up properly before heading down the Versant du Village side where I met up with Ilana at the base. We got in about ten nonstop runs down Brome, Bromont, Knowlton, Cowansville, Coupe du Monde, and Bedford, and while we mainly caught the chair for efficiency, we also took advantage of the gondola for a couple of rides where there was no line. 
      Conditions were excellent all around - there was not a single icy run to be found, although Coupe du Monde still had a few questionable spots in the middle of the steepest pitch, and the wind was blowing snow around at the peak, making the point of departure a bit slick. The snow was accumulating quickly and each run had a new layer on top each time. Surprisingly, Nuit Blanche wasn't as busy on a powder day as we would have expected - it was steady, but not busy, and we rarely had to wait in line. For that reason, there was plenty of untouched terrain to plow through if you stick to the edges and little side trails.
      In total, I managed to get in about ten nonstop runs in two hours. It was truly wonderful to surf the freshly accumulated powder with cold but reasonable temperature and no overcrowding. For our final run we took an easy run from Toronto to Halifax to Pittsburgh on the Versant du Lac side. We got back to the car, split the Creemore and I put my sandwich artist skills to work for a delicious ham and cheese on ciabatta snack. The drive back to Montreal was a bit more forgiving, and my partner had prepared a late-late-night snack of lamb tacos with tamarindo tequila jarritos. 
      It was a bit cold on the lift and far too wet to take my phone out too often, so here are some quick snaps of the night - one of the best evenings of the season so far! 

Riding up the chondola about 2/3 of the way to the top! Just look at that beautiful accumulation and it's still coming down hard!

Riding the chondola chair with Ilana, the stoke level is high!
    • By Shane
      Bromont has just announced their Altitude investment project, with a video highlighting the new summit lodge, as well as the new lift that will be installed to replace the #4 lift on Versant du Village. After earlier discussions that the lift would be a six-passenger chairlift, it is now announced that it will be a 6-passenger chairlift / 8-passenger gondola Hybrid lift. In total, more than $25 million in improvements.
      More water slides and zip lines are also shown in the promotional video. Also mentioned are improvements to the main chalet on Versant du Village and to the one on Versant du Lac.
      The new waterslide will open in June this year. The new lift will be built by Doppelmayr and open in time for the next ski season 2018-19. The summit chalet will start construction this fall to open the following ski season 2019-20. 

Here is the official press release on the announcement.
      https://www.slopeedge.net/content/investments-of-more-than-25-million-at-the-ski-resort-bromont-montagne-d-experiences