Mont Bellevue - January 17, 2018

Paul

It had been about 3 weeks since my last visit to Mont Bellevue, and at the time it was -15 degrees plus a breeze and 4 trails open. This night everything was available. I arrived at the mountain at 6:45 to a full parking lot. Not a space to be had, so street parking was in order. Actually it wasn't too bad. Parked down near where the Quad is and it was just a short little hike to get to the chalet.

fullsizeoutput_7.thumb.jpeg.a0f32bc42fd4e33a0e8e855b62db121d.jpeg

When I got to the chalet to pick up a lift ticket, there was a line up from the ticket windows to about 2 thirds of the way to the Pomalift. The wait was about 15 minutes. I had never seen this in the times that I have been to Bellevue, but being that it was Ladies Night everyone decided to come out and enjoy their mountain. Good business was had tonight. It got to a point where they had someone distributing tickets in line to the ladies 18+ to get them started on their evening and to help thin out the line. That worked really well. Super idea.

fullsizeoutput_a.thumb.jpeg.1159a34a455310330dcd5674c9b1c617.jpeg

This time everything was available. Both the Quad and Poma were in operation, The temperature was -7 degrees and no breeze at all. 10 trails were open on machine groomed packed powder over a firm base. Bellevue really did a great job getting back on track after the thaw and rain we had a week or so ago. When I got my ticket I was ready to go. Knowing that the Quad would be busy, Poma it was. The line up there was only 5 minutes. I spent a good hour and a bit doing laps using the Poma. It is fast, runs a bit faster than the Quad does, so more laps you can make.

IMG_0513.thumb.JPG.6e94f07fd8683f7f05b79f97e828df21.JPG

After at about 8:45 or so, it started to thin out so I headed over to the Quad and there was still a bit of a line up there but the singles line was efficient and the wait was just a few minutes. A few runs on the Quad and it was back to the Poma for a few more turns. It was noticeable by 9:15 that the crowd was really thinning out. The parking lot was emptying out and the line at both the Poma and Quad were now pretty much non existant. 

fullsizeoutput_9.thumb.jpeg.6083f6747eba192be4dcef4bcddbb2a7.jpeg

By 9:45 I was done. 17 runs on a ticket price of $13.50. I surely got my money's worth tonight where upon arrival , I thought it was going to be more waiting than skiing. Another fabulous evening at Bellevue and I am sure everyone else did as well.

Here are a few more scenes from the evening:

fullsizeoutput_6.thumb.jpeg.7e03e541d17d039b36ca46b03230bc65.jpeg

IMG_0537.thumb.JPG.8304cfd63f76e9083b80d6d6dd75a183.JPG

IMG_0538.thumb.JPG.a217f3b38a9fecb886667957985d0f0d.JPG

fullsizeoutput_8.thumb.jpeg.a4da6aa118922759e8413a3849c92ff3.jpeg

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Paul
      While sitting at my desk in the office today looking out the window, and watching all this white powder fall from the sky I knew a tough decision had to be made. Shovel the driveway when I got home or go skiing. Well you know what that decision was........and here is the report.
      I arrived at Bellevue at opening, 6pm, and the parking lot was already filling up quickly. Looked like a lot of other people had the same thought on their mind. To ski the 30 some centimetres of snow that fell last night and during the day today. The temperature was a comfortable -2 degrees upon arrival. Getting my lift ticket was quick and easy, as it is ladies night tonight, and It usually gets pretty busy. A long line up is the norm, but arriving early certainly helped out. Only the Quad chair and the beginner's Magic Carpet were in operation tonight.

The conditions were machine groomed, packed powder with no base in sight! There was plenty of snow between you and the base underneath. Also they had left some powder stashes all over the hill to be had! Some trails and pitches were not touched by the groomer, and the main trail under the upper section was half width groomed, and the other half untouched! I am usually a groomer kind of skier, and stick to that type of trail, but tonight I wasn't going to let the powder pass me by. I found myself skiing the powder quite a bit.

The line up was starting to get busy by 7, and the singles line was a great friend where I waited not more than a minute or two to hop on a chair. The line up for the Quad enters by either side. The other side where you can't see was just as long.

I skied for a couple of hours only, until 8, as I knew what was waiting for me when I arrived home. No it wasn't a cold one, but a driveway full of snow, and a nice bank at the entrance to shovel courtesy of the city sidewalk plough and the street plough. The conditions tonight were just absolutely fantastic, and I consider myself very fortunate to have a hill nearby like Bellevue to scratch the skiing itch when you need to make a few laps, and when you have very little time to do so. My total appreciation Ville de Sherbrooke for providing, and supporting a local ski area such as this!
      Here are some more scenes from the evening:

• By Paul
      With the weather forecast looking bleak for Friday and Saturday in the Townships with a freezing rain warning and rain to follow, a visit to Mont Bellevue this evening was warranted. I arrived at the hill at 6:45pm to a half-full parking lot. Plenty of decent parking close to the chalet. Tonight was Thursday Men's Night where men 18+ ski free for the evening. There were 6/10 trails open and the Quad and the Beginner's Carpet were operating. Tonight's skiing was on groomed granular snow over a firm base. There were no icy patches anywhere. The conditions were fantastic. There was a small snow park on the right-hand side of the main trail with one rail and a couple of humps. Bellevue had been making snow earlier in the week and the snow cat was at work on building the snow park on trail 5 & 6 where it usually is.

There was a small crowd tonight and no wait at the Quad. Being that it was a school night, it was mainly adults skiing tonight. Some teens and some little ones were out and about as well. Men's night was on Saturday nights last season, however it has been moved to Thursdays now. It was fairly mild and no wind to chill things. It was partly cloudy with the moon peeking through. After about a couple of hours and a dozen runs it was time to call it. The crowd had thinned out and people were leaving by 9:30. The only downside to tonight had nothing to do with the conditions as they were fantastic as always, but it was with my ski boots. I could not get them comfortable at all and they actually hurt quite a bit which I have never experienced before like this with these boots. After a few runs they got better but still not 100%. I have had them since the 2012-13 season so I think I am due for some new ones before I go on any road trips later this winter. 
      Here are some scenes from the evening: